Wage: $21/hr + 10% in lieu of benefits ($23.10/hr)
Hours: Evenings & weekends; several hours per week for 6-8 weeks
Positions available at the following locations:
Active/Multisport 28th Jan – 11th March | Sat, 10:00 AM -12:00 PM at Soccer Dome
Gymnastics 22nd Jan – 5th March | Sun, 12:00 PM – 2:00 PM at Tournament Capital Centre
Swim 25th Jan – 15th March | Wed, 4:00 PM – 6:30 PM at Tournament Capital Centre
Winter programs run from January to March. Full program details on following page of application form. Note that program opportunities available year-round.
Canucks Autism Network provides a fun and engaging environment where the pace of instruction can be modified to meet our participant’s individual needs. A high instructor-to-participant ratio allows for individualized support and instruction for each participant. CAN programs give children on the autism spectrum a place to learn sports skills and socialize with their peers without the fear of acceptance or the worry of competition. It is a chance for them to build new friendships. A variety of strategies are used to help participants to be successful, including visual supports. Training is provided both in a classroom and on the job setting.
Under the direction of the Coach and Onsite Supervisor, you will provide lessons and skill development in a program that has been specifically designed to promote physical and social development of children on the autism spectrum.
• Provide individualized support to program participants and promote active engagement and learning (This may include behavior, communication and social suppport)
• Follow lesson plans delivered by the Skills Coach and adapt to participant(s) needs as required
• Facilitate peer to peer interaction and socialization amongst program participants
• Encourage participants to independently partake in activities
• Collaborate with Onsite Supervisor, Coaches and other Support Workers to help the group be as successful as possible
• Help engage and mentor volunteers in participant support as required
• Have fun!
• Must be 18 years of age of older
• If you are applying for a skate program, you must be able to skate forwards, backwards and stop with ease, and able to physically support a beginner participant on the ice.
• If you are applying for swim you must feel comfortable in all depths of the pool.
• Previous experience supporting individuals with autism and other diversabilities a strong asset but not required
• Relevant post-secondary education and first aid certification an asset
• Fun, enthusiastic, motivated and a positive team player
• Passion to get involved and an eagerness to learn
• Patient, collaborative, adaptable, and respect for children and families
• Willingness to learn and open to receiving feedback
• Strong communication, interpersonal, and team work skills
• Punctual and reliable: committed to 100% program attendance
• Excellent people skills and able to build positive relationships with participants
CAN follows Provincial Health Authority & WorkSafeBC guidelines.
New hire orientation will include training specific to COVID-19 protocols. See our Staff Safety Plan.
We thank all of those who apply but only those selected will be contacted for an interview.
Yes. Program staff travel to and from the community facilities.
APPLY HERE – https://recruiting.ultipro.ca/CAN5013CANS/JobBoard/30530b7c-9903-4428-a83e-93be79ca46a7/Opportunity/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=2df064ac-b83d-46f2-90ba-52a88afd1199