Camp Cook (Summer Camp)
Employer Legal Name: Camp Arowhon Limited
Employer Operating Name: Camp Arowhon
Job location: Algonquin Park, Ontario (nearest municipalities: Huntsville, Ontario and Dwight, Ontario)
Address of work: 1 Arowhon Road, Algonquin Park, Ontario P0A 1H0
Salary: $17/ hour
Benefits: Room and board provided for employees who relocate; Staff accommodation including laundry service and free parking, along with outdoor activities available/provided to employees who relocate.
Terms of employment: Seasonal, Full time
Hours: 44 to 48 hours / week
Start date: May 22, 2023
End date: October 15, 2023
Employment conditions: Overtime, Shift, Weekends
Work Setting: Summer camp
Education: Secondary (high) school graduation certificate
Experience: Minimum of two years of relevant work experience is required. Work experience in a camp kitchen is an asset.
Work Conditions and Physical Capabilities: Fast-paced environment, Work under pressure, Repetitive tasks, Standing for extended periods, Overtime required, Physically demanding, Attention to detail, handling heavy loads
Work Location Information: Remote location, Willing to relocate
Personal Suitability: Dependability, Initiative, Team player, Excellent oral communication, Judgement, Flexibility, Reliability, Organized
Cook Categories: Cook (general)
Cuisine Specialties: Canadian, International
Duties and Responsibilities
• Prepare and cook complete meals for campers and staff, including:
o Food production, preparation, and service for breakfast, lunch and dinner at a camp serving approximately 550 people daily;
o Rotating cook work areas as needed, producing and preparing food for some or all of the following: grill, salad bar, soups, vegetables and side dishes, vegetarian meals, fried foods, short orders for brunch, cooking meats, slice deli meats, etc.;
o Demonstrating creativity in food production creating a variety of meals for soups and salads;
o Operating industrial machinery: grills, stoves, mixers, convection ovens, deep fryers, dishwashers, slicers, food processors, etc.
• Train staff in preparation, cooking and handling of food
• Plan menus, determine size of food portions, estimate food requirements and costs, and monitor and order supplies. This includes but is not limited to ensuring that stock is controlled, groceries are utilized effectively, and monitoring and adjusting recipe yield to minimize food waste
• Inspect kitchens and food service areas
• Clean kitchen and work areas, including completing daily cleaning duties such as: washing dishes and equipment used during shift, clean food counters, work tables and kitchen equipment, sweep and mop floors, clear garbage, compost and recycling bins at the end of each shift.
• Organize and manage buffets and banquets
• Prepare dishes for campers and staff with food allergies or intolerances at all three meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner). This includes but is not limited to: vegan, vegetarian, and gluten free diets. Also includes accommodating food allergies.
• Schedule and supervise kitchen helpers
• Maintain records of food, supplies, and equipment
• Order supplies and equipment
• Assist with unloading the grocery truck
Apply by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply, including those who identify as visible minorities, youth, seniors, newcomers to Canada, persons with disabilities, or Indigenous persons.